Ok, it’s time to talk about Star Wars again.
Not because The Force Awakens, was released on Blu-Ray and DVD this week, but because Lucasfilm released the teaser trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. I’ve just finished watching it and I must confess, my feelings are mixed. Visually it looks better than The Force Awakens because it takes place before A New Hope. The sets have more detail and scope as opposed to TFA’s sparseness. It cast Genevieve O’Reilly as Mon Mothma, which is perfect because she played Mothma in Revenge of the Sith and she looks the part. But it’s also merits the old chestnut: “I have a bad feeling about this”…
Here’s my “bad feelings”:
- Felicity Jones’ character is Disney’s second SW female lead. She’s been “on her own from the age of fifteen”. Excuse me, but wasn’t Rey also an orphan who’s had to fend for herself from youth, and develop fighting skills in the process? Why is Disney making all their SW heroines orphans with no one to raise, teach and protect them? Can’t they come from loving families who’re very well aware of the evil threatening them? Luke had Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Anakin had Shmi. They weren’t left to fend for themselves. On the surface, it seems progressive but when you look deep down, it’s kinda troubling.
- How much did they pull from the Expanded Universe? Clone Corridor has already pointed out the similarities between the two.
- What’s with the “martial arts-type” fighting? Luke, Han and Leia never had to fight like that.
- Did they consult George Lucas? I’m guessing that’s a no.
- What lessons will be taught in this story? Does Jyn come away a better person or will the objective be only to steal the death star plans?
- Will they introduce new planets with new environments? New aliens? Never before seen vehicles? I’m guessing that’s a no.
- It’s an OT era story following in the footsteps of an OT era ripoff. We will see more x-wings, tie fighters, stormtroopers and imperial leaders, which is kinda sad.
I guess we’ll just have to wait until they release the official trailer to have our questions answered.